Tuesday, March 30, 2010

adventures of a 30 something gal with braces


I'm not sure how many of you out there have had braces as an adult, but it's a pretty crazy thing to experience.  I got my braces on about 10 months ago (not that I'm counting lol), and life has certainly changed since then.  The story of how I got my braces is a long one that deserves it's own post when I have more time.

Since I've had my braces on I've suddenly become 16 again, at least in my appearance.  I get asked for ID everywhere we go.  Add to that the fact that people now look at my hubby like he is some sort of perv when we are out in public.  To be honest though, I really don't mind all of that, I love my new straight smile.... even if it is silver and shiny. 

I never had a straight smile when I was growing up, my teeth were very crowded, and although I was considered pretty I would never ever smile.  I was too embarassed.  Now that my teeth are straight I can't stop smiling though!  It's really amazing what it can do for a persons self-confidence.  People always say that no one discriminates against people that have crooked teeth, but that is simply not the case.  It's an inconvenient truth that the way we look (smiles included) makes an impression on people.  Once I got my braces on people actually said to me, "Oh it will be you're going to look so great once your teeth are straight!".  Nice.  Whatever, it is what it is.

Now that my front teeth are straight I'm dealing with the pain of moving my molars so that my bite lines up properly.  Ouch.  I got my wires changed last week and I've had terrible headaches everyday since then.  I've been surviving on mashed potatoes, oatmeal, and melt in your mouth cookies.  I really can't complain though, I'm am perfectly happy to go through all the anguish to get the final results.

When I got my braces on I was told that I would have them on for 24 months, but now I'm being told that my teeth moved so quickly that it will probably be over much sooner than that.  I have speed braces on which work differently than traditional braces, the wires are able to move on their own through the brackets so they don't need elastics... which, as the name implies, speeds things up considerably.  Honestly, I'm kind of enjoying having them.  I don't mind if I have to wear them for another year.  I don't mind feeling young again.  I don't mind brushing my teeth 5 times a day to make sure I don't end up embarassing myself when friends arrive for tea ;)

Now I have to decide what to make for dinner, and I think it's a toss up between creamed corn, mashed potatoes, and soup.  My hubby must hate the week after my orthodontist appointments ;)

2 comments:

Corine (@ComplicatedMama) said...

I was suppose to get braces on 2 years ago... but chickened out when they said they had to pull 4 healthy - STRONG- teeth.

I've considered getting veneer.. but again, sounds painful.... and Im afraid of pain.

So envious of you being 1/2 way done with your braces though! :)

-Corine

Angelia Sims said...

Yikes! What a trooper you are. :-) I can't believe how fast it's going. My daughter has been in braces for almost 5 years! Yeah we had a crappy crooked ortho. It's taken one year with the new one.

Post a Comment